Passionate PC gamer but ToeJam and Earl is still one of my favourite games.
The Game Awards are just around the corner and gamers might want to pay special attention because over 10 new games will be announced throughout the event.
First awarded in 2014, the annual Game Awards continues to grow from strength to strength. It will be hosted by creator Geoff Keighley from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on 6 December. Guest presenters include superhero film directors the Russo Brothers, acclaimed actor Christoph Waltz and streaming sensation Ninja (who is also a nominee for best Content Creator).
What would The Game Awards be if there weren’t any big surprises lined up for the night? Gamers will hopefully not be left disappointed then, as Geoff has promised several new games will be revealed. The internet rumour mill has speculated that a release date for Hideo Kojima’s Death Stranding will be unveiled and that a new Dragon Age title might be revealed.
Get ready for the biggest #TheGameAwards yet next Thursday. Expect more than 10 new game announcements plus updates on existing titles and so much more. The show streams live everywhere at 9 PM ET / 6 PM PT at https://t.co/i3gkmHsM49 pic.twitter.com/MVUeEAjheX
— The Game Awards (@thegameawards) November 27, 2018
Followers of BioWare’s upcoming MMO RPG, Anthem, should be in for a treat too as a new trailer will be shown in advance of the game’s release scheduled for February 2019. Although just a trailer, this might quell the disappointment of those who haven’t been lucky enough to secure a spot on the closed alpha on December 8 and 9… or it could just make the anticipation even worse.
— Anthem (@anthemgame) November 29, 2018
More than 100 games and people have been nominated across a plethora of categories this year and some of those include:
Best ongoing game
- Destiny 2: Forsaken
- No Man’s Sky
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
- Detroit: Become Human
- God of War
- Life is Strange 2: Episode 1
- Marvel’s Spider-Man
- Red Dead Redemption 2
Best mobile game
- Donut County
- PUBG MOBILE
- Reigns: Game of Thrones
For a full list of the nominations, head over to The Game Awards’ nominations page.
Gamers can vote for their favourite games on the nominations page up until 5 December at midnight (Pacific Time). The winners are determined through a mix of fan voting which counts for 10% of the total vote, and jury voting which counts for the remaining 90%.
Where to watch
You’ll be able to watch the awards on the usual steaming platforms such as Twitch, Youtube and Mixer as well as others. The event is set to air at 5:30 pm (Pacific Time) on 6 December. If you’re a UK viewer, this will mean setting your alarm for 1:30 am on 7 December.